Germany / 973 - 1945
The Soden/von Soden name has been in Germany since 1323 in a
variety of forms. Its origins are in Hannover,in North Germany later
spreading to the south and in the process involving a change of
religion to Roman Catholicism.
There were so many attractive points for me to discovering a German
link . Firstly , as a student I worked in my first job in Hanover , North
Germany on the Messegelände , where incidentally Ute also worked
as a student.There is , of course , a strong Soden connection with Hannover.
There is a Sodenstrasse ,north of the Central Station and an old
people?s home in the Braunschweigerstrasse near the Aegidientor
founded by the Soden family,called Kloster Soden.
(Soden Strasse , Hanover, North Germany between the Central Train Station and the Main Post Office)
There are at least 4 Bad Sodens in central and southern Germany .
Some of these are connected with the family and others with the salt
industry of the area.In the year 1500 , a German/Hanoverian burgher ,
Dietrich vamme Sode,is recorded as being alderman in London.Also,
in 1549 some 1500 German mercenaries helped the Duke of Warwick
in the suppression of the Ket revolt in Norfolk,as they were on their way
to Scotland to fight for the king of England.
Despite all these exciting coincidences which all showed great
promise , there is no substantial historical link between
either Ireland and Germany or England and Germany.
The 2 above - mentioned historical events are primary possibilities and will
be investigated in the coming years. The reality of an American / German
connection is great and numerous , but of course , of a far later date.
Places with the name Soden are the following:
63628 Bad Soden Salmünster
63384 Bad Soden bei Aschaffenburg
65812 Bad Soden im Taunus
37242 Bad Sooden-Allendorf
In the Year 1549 some 1500 German mercenaries aided the Duke of Warwick ,John Dudley, to repell the Ket Uprising in Norfolk. These were under the command of Markgraf Albrecht Alcibiades von Brandenburg-Kulmbach (*1522,+1557) belonged to line of Markgraf of Brandenburg - Kulmbach which resided in Franken. He had under his command 1529 mercenaries from Northern Germany. Details on this house lie in the Staatsarchiv Bamberg,Hainstr. 39,Bamberg,Germany. A book on the subject is Johannes Voigt,Markgraf Albrecht Alcibiades von Brandenburg-Kulmbach Bd. 1,Berlin 1852,Seiten 202 - 206.
The following is a very brief summary of the etymological & phonetic
development of the name Soden according to German sources.
Sode(n),ÖN to middle high German S^OT means marsh or lake.
Middle Low German SODE means peatlawn.
Brechenmacher: Deutsche Namen Page 615/Celle Stadtbibliothek
Hermann zi Sode,at Freiburg in Breisgau Nr. 142
Hilbrant vamme Soden (also van dem Zode) Hannover
There follows a short historical account of the von Soden family
in Hannover,Lower Saxony,North Germany taken from the Hannoverscher Anzeiger of the 29th March,1903.
LOCAL NEWS,HANNOVER 28TH MARCH,
The former General Chief of Staff of the 10th Army ,COLONEL VON SODEN
comes from the ancient and old noble Hannoverian family which can trace
its history far back into the millenium.In the year 973 a Soden founded
the well known salt works which is still thriving called Soden an der
Werra near the town of Allendorf which was still in the possession of
the family in the year 1300. The family then joined the Frankish
Imperial Knighthood. Since 1341 the Sodens appear in documents in
Hannover where they built the Leibnizhouse which had previously a
Gothic brick facade. At the beginning of the 14th century we find
HILDEBRAND VON SODEN as Mayor of Hannover.
(Statues of Ss.Peter & Paul donated by Mauritius von Sode to the Cathedral at Hildesheim,Germany)
(Statues of Ss.Peter & Paul donated by Mauritius von Sode to the Cathedral at Hildesheim,Germany)
MAURITIUS VON SODEN who in the year 1590 was in charge of the
Cathedral at Hildesheim distinguished himself by the number of
donations he made to charity and in particular with the foundation of
the Citizens? Hospital in Hannover ,the so-called Soden cloisters.
JOHANN HERMANN VON SODEN became Professor of Law in Erfurt in 1658 and was very welll known
as an academic and a writer.
A further branch of the family of JOHANN HERMANN was in the year 1702 a Government Advisor and Court Assessor in Churmainz and his son THEODOR who died in the year 1716 was the Lord and Captain at Gleidingen.
From the latter came HEINRICH GABRIEL who was a Baron ,an Ansbacher Chamberlain and Major .He in turn had two sons.One was FRIEDRICH JULIUS HEINRICH who was born in 1754 and JOHANN CARL AUGUST.
The older of the two brothers who died only in 1881 was until 1796 a Royal Prussian Advisor and a Minister in Frankish district of Nurnberg. As a dramatic poet and a writer and particularly in the area of economics and State affairs he is extremely well known. He is the inventor of the phrase ?National Economy? of which he treated in his nine volumed work, ?The National Economy?,a philosophical discussion on the source of national wealth and its use.
FRIEDRICH JULIUS HEINRICH was elevated to the Imperial nobility by
Elector Karl Theodor of Palatinate Bavaria on 24th September,1790 and became
therefore the founder of the baronial line of the Sodens which has the title Hannoverian.
He was involved also as the Head of theatre and died in the 1831. The
Hannoverian line thrives today in the sons and daughters of BARON
JULIUS VON SODEN,the great grandson of the founder and his wife,LOUISE
nee BARONESS VON THURHELM. ONe of the sons,BARON ALFRED VON SODEN is
well known after being decorated with the Order Pour le Merite as the
defender of the German Embassy in Peking and is now Captain and
Commander in Chief of the First Sea battalion in Kiel.
The brother of the founder of the baronial line JOHANN CARL AUGUST was
a Major in Würzburg continued the baronial Franconian line which in
constrast to the Hannoverian line is to a great degree Catholic.
To this line belong amongst others,BARON HERMANN VON SODEN
and the former Governor of German West Africa,BARON JULIUS VON SODEN
who is now the present Foreign Minister in Wurtemberg.
The Sodens have in their coat of arms two golden lions and above,in red
they have a silver rose and below, in silver they have a red rose. On
the coat of arms there is the baronial as well as the count crown on
which there are two helmets in red and silver.On the right helmet on
the outside there are golden flag holders. These have two flags in red
and silver and on the left side there is a crowned black eagle.
From Lindenau in Leipzig we received the following account.
I read with great interest in your esteemed newspaper an article about
the Sodens this old Hannoverian Patrician family. One is encouraged
when one thinks of the history of an old family and hears of what their
achievements were in more recent times.This would be especially
interesting to any Hannoverian who is interested in the history of this
family. For many reasons and for this reason in particular I hope I
would be allowed to write a few lines on the subject.
One reason for this is the very special way in which the former Chief
of Staff of the 10th Army was honoured by the inhabitants,or the
members of the Soden cloister with which the present members of this
family during their stay in Hannover have always kept a close tie.
Whoever is even engaged in such a small thing as a coffee circle has
occasion to think of the name Soden in connection with the name of
Broyhans,that famous drink which indeed is known not just all over
Germany but beyond its borders.In the meantime, the name of the family
Sode as also the old house with cloisters proves and also the article
in the Sunday newspaper will prove,the name Soden is not just related
with the southern German branch of the family,with the Bavarian
baronial and Count family in Würtemberg but also with the Hannoverian
To the heraldry expert who knows the coat of arms on the new Soden
cloisters the difference will also be noticed in the description of the
Coat of Arms. First of all in the baronial line the old Coat of Arms
had a blue and red background on a red and white rose of five leaves.
In the course of the centuries the name and the shield as with many
families has changed.
The southern German branch today is called SODEN. The Hannoverian,
however, has still today its old name of SODE,something which was not
touched on at all in the above-mentioned article.
This last line is the oldest of the family whose nobility was confirmed
on the 5th October,1724 with special permission to name itself VON DER
SODE, besides which they also obtained on the family crest two golden
lions n a blue backgound. (The next note marked with two crosses is
rather hard to make out.) It is an explanation with 4 different
sections. Section 1 says,a red rose/Section 2 and 3 say a golden lion
and Section 4 says a white rose.
The family shield can be seen today on one of our nicest gable houses
in the town,if I?m not mistaken,on the Calenberger Strasse opposite the
The Hannoverian line has property in Mecklenburg and had at the
beginning of the 60s a house on the Cellerstrasse. This was called
Sodenstrasse. On the 300th anniversary celebrations of the Soden
cloisters in the Autumn of 1897 representatives of both lines,of the
Hannoverian and South German,were guests at a function held by the city
End of article
In Germany,family names developed gradually in the Middle Ages after theintroduction of Christianity in Lower Saxony,after the subjugation and conversion of the Saxons through Charles the Great and his successors,and were,without doubt,developed first in the Cities founded by him and his Bishops,such as Hildesheim,Luneburg, Goslar,etc..
In the early Middle Ages there were in Germany only Christian names,and family or
surnames became more common only in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries.
The manner of spelling these names was very arbitrary,and therefore very different.
Our name appears in numerous parts of Germany,but mostly in Latin
documents,especially in the Cities of Luneburg,Salzwedel,Hildesheim
and Hanover during the thirteenth anf fourteenth and ,the following
centuries ,as follows: von Zoide,Zode,Sode,Sohde,Vamme byme
Sode,and occasionally in the manner de Salina,de puteo prope,or
apud fontem. Also the simple Christian name Johannes with the
appendix von dem Sode or dictus prope Fontem,etc....
Sode is Lower Saxon ,and means ?well? (puteus fons),which means
especially a drawing well,and then again,a salt well (Salina).The
appendage,?von? or as is occasionally used ?bei?or the Latin
?de?,?a?,or?apud? and ?prope?,proves that it is an indication of
origin,or of location rather that nobility. It might be added that
the remaining Hanoverian,and other families with whom the Sodens
have been closely related,such as the families of
Anderton,Limborg,Rodewald,Windheim,Schaele,Bartels,von der Hoya, (a
family which is often mentioned in Hanover,and is not to be
confounded with the Count von Hoya) - bore no predicate of
nobility,although they might have,in the course of time,acquired one.
There were again,noble families who disdained to use the ?von?,such
as the Schleppengrellen die Groten,etc,....
?Vamme,byme Sode,?therefore,mean nothing more than a man who possessed
a ?sod?,i.e.,a well,or in fact,that merely such a well was in front
of his house,or on his property,by virtue of which,in an age where
the mere Christian name did not suffice to keep step with the advance
of culture,it became necessary to specify one?s neighbour more
Such a name was,originally,in all probability,only an individual one,but gradually here and there
it was handed from father to son,and finally became a permanent famly name,a process which
is yet to be found among all primitive people on their way from their natural state to civilisation.
From the foregoing it is clear that one and the same name occurs in
many different places for the most different kinds of people,and that
for instance, everywhere where wells were to be found,there were
also people to be found who were named ?by the well?,or?from the
well?; in short,that it was a common name in itself,and that its
occurrence is no proof of family cohesion of the people who bore it.
An intimate relationship among the individuals who are to be traced in
places widely separated during the 13th and 14th and succeeding
centuries,who bore the name ?Soden?,is,therefore,not probable.
Indeed,in the highest degree improbable. If Johannes von Sode,for
instance,would have migrated around this period from Hanover to
Lüneburg,he would,in the latter place (where in all probability a
prior ?Hanse von Sode? existed) be called ?Johannes de Hannovere?,
for,as already mentioned,family names,were,for the greater
part of the Middle Ages,never permanent ,but served principally to
distinguish persons from one another,and never played the role that
they do in the present age.
Perhaps the names of von Sothern and von Sulten (de Salina) which
appear around this same period among the patricians of Duderstadt and
Lüneburg,may be traced to a similar origin,but it is not possible to
prove their connection with our family; and ,also,our coat of arms
differs from theirs.
The production of salt and the trading in salt did not occur in
Hanover,but,on the other hand,in the then more important City of
Luneburg,and one might,therefore,be tempted to look for the origin of
the name of the family in that City.Some Luneburg families came to
great wealth through trading in salt,and especially through the
ownership or leasing of saline properties. It is under just such
families,however,that the name ?Sode? does not appear.
Extract from the Monograph by John Voorhis Soden (1912)
A House or Real Estate Book for the City of Hanover was begun in the
year 1428,with the names of the Real Estate owners and was continued
up to the time of adoption of a new book of house inspection in
1534.The second part of this book (from 1428 to 1477) contained the
entries about the transactions in houses in the older part of the
town. In accordance with one of the first entries in the book,in
1428,a house situated in Osterstrasse,adjoining the house of
Hartmans von Troetze,was transferred to Helmolde von der Sode. (Not
named in the family charter). If these books contain any further
information of interest to the von Soden family it is impossible for
me to ascertain it at this time,since I have never seen these books.
On the location where the present Leibnitz house is now
standing,there was situated in Schmiedestrasse,a house,which in the
middle of the 15th century was the property of the von Sode?s.At
first,it belonged to the Burgomaster,Hans von Sode,then to his
son,Burgomaster,Jurgen von Sode,who built,in the uear 1499,a new
house on the same spot. In the year 1606 it was still in the
possession of Gerhard von Sode,who them transferred it to the family
of von Lude.
This house,together with its present facade was,in the year
1652,fashioned by the mason and sculptor ,Heinrich Alfers. In
addition to this,there is also mentioned a house ?Drenkehane?,which
after the changing of many hands,came into the possession of Jurgen
von Sode in 1530,who then sold it with the attached estate to Hinrik
von Sode. In the year 1482 there is mentioned a house belonging to
Martin von Zoide,for whose construction the City supplied a certain
kind of brick,and in this house there was the arms of the family of
von Sode,made of clay,which,in the uear 1652,was attached to the
Leibnitz house,but is said to be no longer there at the present
A certain Dietrich,and later on his son,Hans von Sode ,owned a house
in Leinestrasse,where in 1526,the Broyhan was brewed. In the year
1740 this house came into the possession of the family of Hauss,but
was later torn down in order to make room for the Royal Palace. This
was the second house off Dammstrasse,lying opposite the Royal
Palace,before the house of Caserotti (formerly Windheim) and
Chamberlain Zeidler?s house. In the old city records we find the
following: "A.D. 1482,the domicile of Hans Meggeholden;A.D. 1511 the
domicile of Dietrich von Zode?s widow,who willed it to him in
accordance with Jakob Sode,who owned a house in Marktstrase,opposite
the ?Skriverie?,erected in 1493; and Cord von Sode owned ,in
connection with others ,a house in Roselerstrasse by the Iron
Gate,where,in 1740,was erected a Royal Post Office.
Extract from the Monograph of John Voorhis Soden
In the year 1362,Dietrich von Sode ,together with J.von Breckhusen
and Dietrich von Neuhofen,founded the altar for the Holy Maria
Magdalena in the Church of Saint Aegidii.A no longer existing
massive wing formed the Saint Anne?s or Soden Chapel.This chapel was
dedicated on the 14th May,1411.Here there stood alongside the altar
of the Holy Anna,another altar of the Holy Dorothea,endowed by
Jurgen von Sode.
..Among other historically valuable mementoes,this Chapel contained
the story of the funeral,and the church window contained the coat
of arms of the family of von Sode. The so-called Kloster was really
a hospital or home for the poor,and was dedicated by Moritz von
Sode,Canon of the Cross Church,and presiding official of the
Nunnery,divae Magdalenae,in Hildesheim,the building of which was
begun on the 14th July,1587......Moritz von Sode intended the
hospital for nine poor male and nine poor female citizens,among whom
his relations of blood should be given preference. Each of these had
a certain chamber and a sitting-room........
When the Minoritenkloster was changed into a Ducal residence and the
Rathskloster and the Sodenkloster were transferred to the
Gahrhofe,in the then so - called Klostergang, on the evening of 19th
May,27 people who were resident in these hospitals,left their
home in this Kloster. An old inscription,along with two Soden
pictures,and the remnant of another inscription finished in the
woodwork formerly contained in the Sodenkloster,were taken along
into the new home.
(after Julius von Soden)
The Soden coat of arms consists of one shield,which is divided
into two equal fields,of which the upper red field contains a
similar red rose. Up to the 16th century the field was divided
on the bias,the roses upon the shield being five- leaved. The
oldest coat of arms which has come down to us with the
diagonally divided field,was attached about the 15th century,to a
house in Hanover belonging to Merten von Zoide. Later on it was
fastened to the present Leibnitz house. Another coat of arms
was found in the so-called Soden Kloster in Havover,but
disappeared when this building was razed in 1887.
The shield contained in the Saint Annen or Soden Chapel,shared the same
fate,and was destroyed with the building. In later
times,i.e.,about the end of the 18th century,we find a shield which
had been attached to the portals of the Würzburgstrasse Theatre.
About this time this theatre was under the management of Count
Julius von Soden,who among others,had his own plays produced on
(Monograph of Julius von Soden,1912 ; translated by John Voorhis Soden )
In the year 1523 warnings were issued and prohibitions were issued against
the doctrine of Martin Luther,which doctrines had gained many
adherents among the citizens Guild and Communities,and had made
great progress in Luneburg. Like everywhere else,however,the
questions in Hanover were not exclusively about ecclesiastical,but
also political and economic innovations.The citizen class
represented the progressive and the Council families and the Feudal
Lords ,the conservative standpoint. At first,there were many
disputes,parliamentarianism and promises upon the part of that
general concilium which was called by Kaiser Karl V,but in the year
1533 the citizens being tired of the dilatory treatment,arose in
public indignation,and demanded the introduction of the Lutheran
Burgomasters and Councilmen fled from the City to Hildesheim; among
them Hans von Sode,and turned to the Duke and outside help,but in
the year 1534 the citizens elected over their heads a new Council
at the head of which there was elected a certain Anton von
This Council represented those who were faithful to the Evangelist
?from the bottom of their hearts?. A new church constitution was
introduced,which the members of the former Council had to recognise
when they returned in the year 1534.The new Doctrine made good in
spite of the reverses,and in the year 1536,on the 16th March,the
City of Hanover joined the Schmalkalf Union. Duke Frederick was
succeeded by his second wife,the Duchess Elizabeth,as the Guardian
of her under-aged son,Erich II.She was publically a devotee of the
new Doctrine,and in the year 1553 introduced the reformation in
Calenburg-Göttingen (Hanover belonged to the Duchy of Calenburg.)
Freedom of faith in those times,was of course, impossible for
them all,in Protestant lands as well as Catholic,and as the
patricians who had fled to Hildesheim were permitted to return to
their homes only under condition that they accept the new
Doctrine,so it is almost certain to assume that from this time,our
family,although perhaps at first very slowly,and with much
hesitation ,turned to the new faith and became Lutherans.An
exception to this seems to have been Johann Heinrich von Sode,who
in the year 1700 was of the Catholic faith,but shortly before his
death found remorse,and ?in the shedding of many tears? recognised
his sin,and returned to his old faith,as is proven by his
clergyman,Johann Heinrich Gebhard,in Erfurt. His children did not
turn Catholic,but remained true to the Lutheran faith.On the other
hand,Johann Karl August von Soden,the writer of these lines and his
brothers and sisters. Theodor von Soden,although he did not
personally step over to protestantism,yet he allowed all his
children to be brought up in this faith.
(after John Voorhis Soden)
As stated in the beginning,this name appears in the 13th and 14th
centuries in documents of a number of cities of Lower Saxony,such as
Hildesheim,Lüneburg,Salzwedel; and,at the beginning of the 14th
century ,in a number of cases in Hanover,certain
vamme,and bey dem Sode,and also de Sode,have their names appear as
witnesses in the various minutes of legal cases,most of them with
the distinction "Borghere",or "Civis to order in Hanover".
According to the chronicles of the City of Hanover,the name von Sode
and ?Hildebrande von deme Zode? appears in a document dated 25th
February,1341,wherein the family of von Sode are selling to the City
of Hanover,various pastures and woods in the neighbourhood of
Misburg and Lahe (District of Hanover)
There this name appears for the first time together with the names
of Corde von Alten,Ghyseken von Lubecke and other good people.In the
Citizen?s Book from the years 1303 to 1369,of the City of
Hanover,we find in 1355,a certain Arnd biceme Zode,as a Burgensis.
We find in certain documents dated 1332 that the brothers von Jlten
sold certain property to Johanne vamme Sode.Finally,we find in the
so-called "Red Book",the name Hildebrandus de Zode cited in the year
1358 among the names of the Councilmen.It is also known that
according to a decree of the Hanover Aldermen,issued in the uear
1347,only such could become members of the Concil who were right
and honorably born,and could point to at least four ancestors.
Judging from the foregoing,we can conclude that there must have
been quite a line of ancestors to which Hildebrandus von Sode could
point in order to claim his full rights as a citizen in order to
attain the office of Consul.
The relationship of the family of von Sode to the well-born
Hanoverian families is hereby sufficiently proven,and these proofs
may be supported in nearly all cases by authorised documents and
records of the municipal authorities. A.W.Bahrdt says in his
"History of the Reformation of the City of Hanover",that no matter
how full of faults the early history of this City may be,as handed
down to us,yet it is certain that only a very small circle of
families were seated on the chairs of the Council and the judiciary
bodies and that in these families the names of
Lynnborch,Sode,Meyjr,Ydense,Anderter and Stille are found in the
ranks of the Concil prior to the year 1534. Dr.O.Jurger says the
same in the essay which has for its topic "Classes in the Grand
Duchy of Luneburg during the 14th century."
It is to be regretted that the Church records of the City of
Hanover run back only as far as the beginning of the 17th century
,all the older ones having been destroyed through a very extended
line of circumstances. In a manuscript found in the archives of
Hanover are certain extracts from a church record called the
"Market Church Record of Hanover". According to this record
,Dietrich vamme Sode and Bertholde Dorhagen were appointed Coroners
in the year 1485,and in 1599,Geverd von Sode was appointed a Church
Deacon; on the 13th January,1623,a certain Geverd von Sode,son of
Anthony,drowned himself in the canal.
As in other German cities,it is to be presumed that in Hanover the
so-called first-line families came out of the wealthy and property
owning merchant class,and it is highly probable that the von Sode?s
belonged to these families,and reached their positions as patricians
through their favours as merchants. In a document without date,the
brothers John and Hildebrandus von Sode,as well as a certain
Thieleke von Sode are mentioned as paying their initiation fee for
membership in the Merchants ?Guild. It is not improbable that these
brothers are identical with the ones above - mentioned among those
who had sold certain property in the year 1338.
On the 16th January,1477,Kopman Corde von de Sode (the leader in Market Street);1486,Jurgen von de Sode; in 1504 Hans von Sode; in 1533 Heinrich von de Sode are named in the family tree.In all probability this refers to the ceremonious entrance of these members of the von Sode family into the Merchants Guild.It is also found that a certain Mauritius von Sode endowed the Merchants Guild,and also named members of this Guild as patrons of the Soden Kloster. Finally,we find that a certain Dietrich von Sode has been mentioned as Alderman in London about the year 1500,where,as is well known,certain German merchants,prior to the time that England itself stepped into the rank of a commercial power,had their settlements with far-reaching manipulations of trade.In most documents in which the name von Sode is mentioned,it is found that they are either referred to as such as Burgomasters,Councilmen,Jurymen, Chamberlains,Appraisers of Weights and Measures,and Masters of Wage. We note further ,that,with the exception of the records of the Guild,these von Sodes had never been referred to as merchants .Of course,the same is true of other Hanoverian families.
From court records it is not possible to find the social standing of the
von Sode?s,but is has been ascertained that most of those court cases
were based on loans,mortgages,pledges and securities. Members of this
family also belonged to the clergy,but it has been ascertained definitely
in one case,viz.,that of Mauritius von Sode,who presided at the
Hildesheim Cathedral about the middle of the 16th century where he
made a good name for himself on account of his generous endowments and
(Baptismal Font donated by Mauritius von Sode in the Hildesheimer Cathedral,Germany/soden 1998)
It has also been ascertained that one of our ancestors
conducted a brewery,or at least owned a house in Hanover which had been
leased to a party for the business fo brewing. Then we also find that in
the year 1525 a certain kind of beer had been brewed for the first time
in the house of the patrician Cord Broyham of Stocken,of Hanover,and that
as a result of this innovation,the commerce of Hanover was promoted.
Even though it did not happen often in those warlike and insecure times that
the landed aristocracy invaded the protected cities and mixed with the patricians,
or married into their families,there is nothing to show that this was the case with our family.
The connection of our family with the family of Allendorf on the Werra,as
my uncle,August von Soden claims in his family tree,which was
constrducted in the year 1844,is highly improbable. His opinion is based
on the mistaken understanding of an old document found in the archives of
the Duke Heinrich von Hessen,which is now to be found at Allendorf.There
we find the name ?in den Soden? as given in the salt works of von
Allendorf mentioned for the first time. They are called
?Gebuhren?,?Geburtschaft?,which is synonymous with the term
?Pfanner?,?Pfannerschaft?. The name ?in den Soden?is not a personal
name,but is an indication of locality.
That the family of von Sode is of the Hanovarian patricians since the
earliest times,and indeed was instrumental in the founding of the city,we
might almost look upon as a proven historical fact. The family in the
15th and 16th centuries had their own coat of arms and seals,which are
certain privileges not granted to the common citizens.
The direct proof of membership of the family,based on any official
document is,of course,impossible,for patricians were not elected or
made,but developed in the course of time and with the existing
circumstances,just as is the case with the higher nobility. To claim that
these patricians were the social equals of the other nobility,is ,of
course, a matter of taste,and to dispute over which there is no good
The liberties of these free citizens were always a very limited one,and
the measure of their liberties as well as their importance should never
be cited as the importance of the families themselves. The citizens of
Hanover never declared their full independence of the Dukes of Lüneburg
and Braunschweig,but always recognised their servitude within the
aforementioned limits,but that makes no change in the quality of the
citizens and the patricians. In the inner politics of the city of Hanover
we can find record of the same disputes and strife that are found in all
free cities,and they always ended in the same manner,i.e.,the gradual
weakening or downfall of the patricians,and the final voluntary or
enforced subjugation of the city under a Grand Duke.
This is an summary from the ?Historical Lexicon of the German
Provinces? by Ko"bler,pages 522/523.
Since 1947 this is known as BAD SODEN am TAUNUS. It is an imperial village.
Conrad II gave to the abbey Limburg an der Hardt the Royal
Court at Sulzbach with parts of the area in the villages of
Altenheim,Neuenheim,Schneidenheim and Soden.These parts belonged
later to the precincts of Sulzbach. The free peasants were not
affected by this arrangement.
Soden-am-Taunus is mentioned for the first time.
The free citizens and farmers of Soden and Sulzbach placed
themselves under the protection of the town of Frankfurt and
committed themselves to joining the imperial army.The villages
of Neuenheim,Altenheim and Schneidenheim then came under the
protection of the precinct of the Abbey of Limburg namely,under
the protection of the Lords of Epstein,later the Baron of
Soden and Sulzbach because of a loan which they obtained from
Frankfurt came under the control of Frankfurt as also did the
Abbey at Limburg.
When Limburg fell to the Palatine-Kurphalz,Frankfurt lost
Limburg then to the Palatinate.
Soden and Sulzbach,after paying back 800 Gulden,freed themselves
from the control of Frankfurt.
The Palatinate transferred Sulzbach to Mainz.
Frankfurt and Mainz eventually agreed on the control of Sulzbach
Sulzbach and Soden went over to Nassau
then over to Prussia
finally to Hesse.
VAN DEM SODE
Johan 1 Diderit 1 Hildebrandt 1
1323-39 1332 1323
m. Hanne purchased 1358 Alderman
the 10th at Ahlem
Diderit 11 Johan 11 (Hans) Degenhard
1360 Alderman till 1394 1368
Hillebrandes son m.Lubbeke
Hildebrand 11 ------------------ --------------------
1368-1390 Hildebrand 111 ? Jacob 1 Johan 111
Johans Son 1399+ 1378 Junior
Cord Volgers Widow van Anderten,
1399+ 1420 Widow
P P. -------------
Helmold N.N. Johan IV
----------------------------- ----------- Alderman 1446-50
Cord the Older Hans IV Jakob 11/Volkmer m.Bertold,
+1481 1443 Helmolds share 1444 Limborgs Daughter
m.1458 son +1484/+1473 +1485
Ilsebe Huckes 1467 Cousin 1460-65/1467-69
Cord Volgers widow Johan IV both Aldermen ----------------
Alderman m.Ermengard Diderit & Martin
1454-84 Rodewold,Reineke below
+1487 Nagels widow,
------------------- Diderit Martin has the
Jurgen 1 +1485 10th at Ahlem,so
The Mayor & Cord Junior the eldest heir,
1488 Martins Merchant, Jurgens Cousin
Cousin 1477 m.Adelheid,Hans
+1450 m.Anna Rodewolds widow.
+++1673 +1481 ---------------
+++ Volkmer 11
Diderit III Chise ---------------
Alderman only 1455 Jurgen II
This a translation of a piece from the famous Waskenbok.It is entitled
?On the Genealogy of Hannoverian Burgher Families? by Dr.K.F.Leonhardt.
The Waskenbok has formed for centuries now an indispensable source on misunderstandings of
genealogical anomalies. The planned re-publication of this in the year 1923 by Georg Nahusen
unfortunately did not materialise and so a critical reworking of the Waskenbok still remains to be
fulfilled at this time. The date of this publication is 1936/37.
The noble family of vam Sode,which originates according to the Waskenbok
with a Jacob/No.1,who married one of the three daughters of Volkemar van
Anderten and had two sons Jacob and Volkmar.Both these brothers are
mentioned in many subsequent documents. They owned jointly up to
1444 their father?s house (L 320 at the Aegidien Tore) which Volkmar
then took over on his own.This man was for many years the elder of the
Marienne Chapel at the Tore and was a Consul between 1467 and 1469.
He had only one son,Chise,who was mentioned once in 1455 but he must
have died before him because in 1473,Jacob II inherited the property.
In 1489 Jacob?s sons,Didert (WB 420),and Jacob III (WB 411) obtained the
house. The father ,Jacob II, was Alderman at the Aegidien Church from
1441 to 1462 and he belonged to the City Council between the years 1460-65
He was dead by the year 1484. He had taken over in the year 1444
the house M 53 (as the younger brother took over the father?s house) and
settled ,however,13 years later in the home of his second wife M 20.
She was the widow,Ermengard of a Reineke Nagel. She was the daughter and
sister of a Hans Rodewold. This marriage brought him four stepchildren,
the brothers Uludolf and Hans Nagel and two sisters,from whom one
Margaret became the wife in 1484 of Diderit van Andert and the
other,however, had married her already widowed stepbrother,Diderit van
Sode.The last mentioned and his brother ,Jacob,in the year 1484 gave the
house M 20 to the brothers Nagel.
Jacob !111 (WB 411) obtained the house M 10 bei dem Piepenborn in 1498 and founded a line of the
family named after this. This can be seen on the family tree. This line became extinct in 1673.
Diderit married for the second time in 1480 Adelheid,the daughter of Hans Lathusen with whom
he had four children according to WB 420. The only surviving son,hans,who went into business in
1503 and who inherited the house M 72 in 1504 and at that time certainly must have been married .
The older Diderit took over in 1461 the house L 294 from the Meigenvelds ,which became famous
in 1526 because of the invention of Broyhans,and in 1507 the younger Diderit got the house according
to reference (WB 422) and when this man died in London in 1511,his brother,Hans,took it over.
Besides this Jacob line which has just been treated and the thriving
line that there is today there were at the time of the publication of the
Waskenbok not less than three other lines of the family which can be
joined just as well as this one with certainty to the older generations
and about whose common origin there can be no doubt.
The oldest mention of the family comes from the year 1332.At that time
the three brothers Johann,Diderit the First and Hildebrand vamme Sode
bought the number 10 at Empelde (WB 219). They were already citizens in
Hannoverand even though their acceptance is not marked in the Citizen?s
Book,with all probability they were the sons of Burghers. On the other
hand,Hildebrand,who was now made a Town Councillor in 1358,had a son
,Diderit the Second,the very one whom we have come to know already for
his participation in the memoirs donation of 1362 for the eldest Johan
van Berkusen and ,whose probable son-in-law he was. The assumption of
bail in the year 1360 as the result of an inheritance allows one to
guess even more that he was the son of a sister of the Burgher Gotfried
In 1373 Hildebrand left behind two underage children called Hildebrand and Hille
who at that time stood to inherit all along with their uncles, Johan and Degenhard.
The final split took place in the year 1384 between Hildebrand and the old Johan.
Apparently,Degenhard and Hille were no longer alive.
?Old Johan? was Town Councillor until 1394He was first
mentioned in 1378.He married Margarete van Anderten,the daughter of
Diderit and the sister of Diderit ,the Cathedral official. In 1420 he
left his widow with four children to whom the uncle,the Cathedral
official ,gave an allowance. There was a son,Johan the Fourth,who took
this allowance until 1462 and there were three daughters who went into
the abbey at Eschede. Johan the Fourth was a Town Councilor from 1446 to
1450 and was the owner of the house L 268 until 1437 which he then
exchanged at that time with L 278. He was married to one of the many
daughters of Bertold Limborg. They survived their two sons,Diderit and
Cord,who died in 1481. Of the two daughters Anna married Hans van
Wintheim (WB 325).Geste like her father?s sisters went into the convent
at Eschede. The widow of Cord took a small allowance from the family
which then was contested by Marten vam Soden who was also a co-heir of
Johan the Fourth in 1481. On that account Marten must then be considered
as another brother of Cord. Between 1487 and 1500 he was the senior
member in the family. He married before 1481 Adelheid who was the widow
of Hans Rodevold whose house O 278 he took over. His son,Waltmar,was
certainly dead before 1532 when his widow,the ?the Hamelmensch? as she
was called,was burnt as a heretic. He son,Jurgen vam Sode,left the town
and died in 1441 in Minden as the last of this line .
A third son of old Johan the Second appears to have been Jacob the First who
like Johan the Third was mentioned for the first time in 1378 and was dead by 1399.
To this generation belongs the last and the most prestigious of the vam Sode line.
He is Helmold,a very unusual name,the son or grandson from the Turkish side who
made a trust for the Aegidien Church use of which was made only during his lifetime.
The reason for this may have been the death of his first wife,who was indeed an Idensen.
He inherited in 1427 apparently through his second wife the Krevenbergsche house O 175.
He was dead by 1457 and left two sons,Cord the older and Hans. Cord married Ilsebe Huch,
the widow of Diderit Volger the Older,whose house M 26 he took over in 1408. His only
daughter,Mettehe,probably from this marriage,married Hermen van Wintheim (WB 327).Hans ,
otherwise known as Johan the Fifth 1441,was the cousin of Johan the Fourth ,was mentioned
in 1467 as a cousin of Volkmar and is expressly mentioned as the son of Helmold.He was
a Town Councillor from 1454 to 1483,thirty years,and was married with Adelheid Krevet.
He died some time between 1484 and 1487. His daughter,Grethe,married by the year 1463
Diderit Volger the younger. His son ,Jurgen (WB 430) was the builder of the house M 115
the Leibnizhouse which was taken over and is well known for the artistic frieze which has
appeared several times in the arms of the family and his memory has been kept over the
centuries even when the family had left their original home territory. Jurgen in 1486 entered
the Burgher community ,was Town Councillor in 1493,Mayor in 1504,and died in 1540.It has
already been mentioned that all his issue disapearred by the year 1673.
For the connection of this line to the oldest branch there are only
three possibilities. Helmold can either be the son of one of the two
younger Hildebrands or of the first Jacob.The latter possibility
corresponds more to the tradition of the Wäskenbok.
All in all,there is up to now no documented evidence of a connection
between the vam Sode of the 14th century and with those of the 15th
century.However,the fact of a genealogical connection because of the
layout of things cannot be brought into doubt but as against that it
must be said that attempts to link the oldest vam Sode with the
Eichsfeldischen van Sothens or to link them with any noble family which
takes its name from the well known place Sooden bei Allendorf an der
Werra,any attempt to bring these together,must be regarded as not
credible. The following table which is taken from the Almanach de Gotha,
a book on noble German families, provides the surest facts on the matter.
The above was the edited version by John Voorhis Soden,New York,1912 of a
translation of the original German text by Baron Julius von Soden #######################################################################################
states under ?SOTT?:-
Soden Mauritius All?,Luise Mennike m/b abt.1594
von Sode Margarete (Hannover)
Relation William B.Priestley f/m 1602
von Sode Juliane E.
Hedwig Thiele f/m 1610
Spouse Hans Claus Baum f/b abt.1662
Soden Anna Magdalena f/d 1692/14/2
Relat. Ernst R.Schnelle
Soden Sophie Dorothea & w/m Oct.1769
Hans Jurgen Grotewold
von Soden Christian Ludwig Moritz
Cabonices m/c 29/9/1807
von Soden Juliana Christine Eredith f/c 5/1/1825
von Soden August Wilhelm Carl Julius
Christian Ludwig von Sode &
Caroline Joanne Reggenden f/c 28/3/1829
von Soden /Relat.Augusta W.Jaspersen f/b abt.1800
von Soden Virginie Desiree Wilhelmine
Louise Friederike Caronline Eleanora
Augustine f/c 10/6?/1829
von Soden Bernardine/Christiane von
Soden & Auguste von Uslar f/c 2/9/1830
von Soden,Carl Oskar Franz Ind?
Joost Rudolf Augustine m/c 23/3/1831
Rudolf August Freiherr von Soden &
???/Freiin von Habsdorf m/c 23/1/1831
von Soden Adeline/Chr.von Soden &
Augustine von Uslar f/c 2/9/1835
Melusine Auguste Marie Henriette
Madel. Wilhelmine f/c 23/7/1839
von Soden August/Rel.Franz Otto
Drechsel m/m 1841
Soden Friederike Comtesse of Hans
Baron von Bibra w/m 10/8/1841
von Soden Hans/Thekla Frederik Theo
Freiherr/Clementine Camerer f/c 14/1/1857
von Soden Augustine Ernestine/
Lorenz Tromphanos Lombardia w/m 3/3/1859
von Soden Olga Joanne,Bertha von
Soden f/c 30/7/1862
Johann Herman von Soden,Churmainz,Government Judicial Advisor,
born in Erfurt in 1623.
married with Anne Magdalene Schele who died in Erfurt on the 14th December,
He died in Erfurt on the 14th December,1702.(No.64/65)
Johann Theodor von Soden from Gebesa/Mechlenburg,a Captain and a Justice in
born in Erfurt on the 25th November,1669,
married in Erfurt on the 21st March,1698 with Martha Weissenborn,who died
in Erfurt on the 12th August 1713.
He died on 3rd January,1721 in Erfurt.(32/33)
Heinrich Gabriel von Soden,Margrave at Ansbach,a Chamberlain and Major,he
was Lord at Sommersdorf,
born in Erfurt on the 1st August,1713,
married on the 7th February,1752 to Wilhelmine Charlotte von Rauber,
he died in Ansbach on the 17th August,1761. (no.16/17)
Johann Carl August Baron von Soden was a Royal Prussian Knight,a Baron
Wurzburg and a Major,
born in Ansbach on the 31st March,1756,married at Eybach near Nurnberg on
the 20th July,1781 with Sophie Charlotte Marianne von Drechsel auf Deufstet-
died at Thalheim near Wurzburg on the 21st January,1811.
Rudolf Philipp August Baron von Soden was Royal Chamberlain,President of the
Government and State Counsellor,
born in Bichelbach near Ansbach on the 2nd June,1875,
married in Nurnberg on the 20th April, 1820 to Eleanore Charlotte vil*
Baroness,noble lady of Anderndorf and Fischbach,
died in Ludwigsburg on the 9th July,1849.(4/5)
Alfred Carl August Baron von Soden,Confidential Adviser,
born in Stuttgart on the 19th July,1826,
married in Stuttgart on the 26th May ,1855 to Emilie von Rom,
died in Stuttgart on the 8th September,1894.
France Ludwig Baron von Soden was a Royal Wurtemberg , General of the
born in Stuttgart on the 9th march,1856,
married in Stuttgart on the 8th January,1890 to Amelie Charlotte Baroness
Hugo von Spitzenberg who was born in Stuttgart on the 25th May,1869.
The first reference is to FRIEDRICH H.SODEN BARON. He was a writer born
on the 4th December,1754 in Ansbach and he died on the 30th July,1831
in Nurnberg. He studied Law in Erlangen,Jena and Altdorf. He became
a Brandenburg Government Adviser and Margrave and transferred then
to Prussia in 1792 into the Prussian service when Ansbach came under
their control. He retired into private life in 1796. He lived on his
estate in Sassenfarth near Bamberg and he managed ,between the years
1802 and 1810,the Bamberg Theatre and,from 1804,the Wurzburg Theatre.
He moved in 1811 to Erlangen and in 1813 to Nurnberg.
(Corner of Sodenstrasse ,Bamberg,Bavaria, South Germany)
He became known as a writer of short stories,such pieces as Franz von
Sickingen,written in 1808 and a considerable collection of dramatic
works from among which we give the better known ones;Inez de
Castro,written in 1784;Ann Bolyn,written in 1784;Dr.Faustus written in
1797 and Virginia,written in 1805. Soden was translator as well of the
works of Cervantes and Lopedevega as well as being a translator of
economic and state matters. The most important of all his works is
entitled the ?National Economy? written between the years 1805 and 1824
in Aarau,in 9 volumes,and with this work he truly developed the science
of national economics.
The present Soden Strasse in Bamberg near the Staatarchiv is called after him.
No.2 from MEYERS LEXIKON
BARON JULIUS VON SODEN,a German diplomat,born on the 5th February 1846 at Ludwigsburg,
in Wurtemberg and ,after the war against France in 1870 to 1871 in which he took part as
a volunteer in the Wurtemberg cavalry in the Regiment Queen Olga,he then moved into the
Career Details :
1871 Attache in the General Consulate in Bucharest
1872 Consul in Algeria.
1876 Canton in Hong Kong.
1881 Business Attache in Lima during the Chilian/Peruvian war.
1884 Consul in St.Petersburg in Russia.
1885 Governor in the Cameroon
1891 After the German Empire had taken over the control of German East
Africa he became Governor of the colony.
BARON JULIUS VON SODEN(b. 1846)
First German Governor of the German Cameroons, (1885-91)
Soden was the first German Governor of the German Cameroon. Soon after appointment he set up an
advisory council in Victoria, and sent Puttkamer and Krabbes to study Mt. Camerooon always urging
a steady and gradual examination of the colony unlike others who wanted a speedy exploration
programme. He also set up the first courts and stopped ?dashing? ,the system of giving native girls
to colonialists as presents and the Botanical Gardens at Victoria.
1885. The Postal System was established by him. He also wanted the Basler Mission to take care of education
in the colony but they did not want to takep part. So,he approached the French Catholics to bring Catholicism
to the Cameroons on the stipulation they were not to interfere with the Protestants.
The Telegraphic Communications were introduced , he also insisted that the American missionaries
present should use German in their work. He also established a council at Victoria but his
Other useful sources are the:-
Die Deutsche Kolonialzeitung 1884
Correspondence between von Soden and Bismarck ,29th August,1885
Deutsches Kolonial Handbuch by R.Fitzner
Colonial Archives 3C No.4 ,Volume 1,entitled Handels- und Schiffssachen
?German Colonies in Africa: The Germans in the Cameroons from 1884 to 1914.?
by Harry A.Rudin
Reference No. NLIR 669/R/
This an excerpt from WER IST WER? ,an English translation of more information on BARON HERMAN VON SODEN.
BARON HERMAN VON SODEN
1852 born in Cincinnati,United States of America on 16th August.
Son of Professor Baron Theodor von Soden and Clementine ,nee Camerer
1875/80 Became a doctor of Theology while at Wildbad,Kirchheim on the Tech and at Stuttgart.
1881/2 Minister at Dresden in the parish of Striesen
1883/6 Minister in Chemnitz in Saxony.
1886 Minister at the Jerusalem church
He married Gabriele (nee von Schaedler) from Copenhagen He was educated
At Esslingen and Urach and Tubingen.
1893 Professor of Theology at the Univrsity of Berlin
His publications are as follows:-
Essays on the New Testament,Letters on Theology,Studies and Critiques,
the Year Book for Protestant Theology 1880 to 1886,
Studies on the Letters to the Phillipians 1889,
a Pocket Commentary to Ephesians,Colossians and Philemon to the First and
Second Letter of Timothy to Titus.
There was a second edition in 1892,
a commentary on Hebrews,Peter 1,Peter 2,a third edition in 1899,
?What is the Evangelical Church doing??,1895,
Travel Letters from Palestine 1898,
Palestine and Its History 1899,
Articles in the Encyclopaedia of the Bible.
His address is
Berlin South West,Fregel Strasse 213.
HANS FREIHERR VON SODEN,
Was born in Dresden on the 4th November,1881.
And Died in Marburg on the 2nd October,1945,
was a German Lutheran Theologian,
the son of HERMAN FREIHERR VON SODEN,
a pupil of von Harnacks,
Professor of Church History in Breslau and for
Church History and New Testament,Dogma and Old Christian Art in
He was founder and head of the Confessional Church in Kurhessen
and he was the compiler of the documentation against the use of the
Aryan paragraph in the church in 1933.
3. WOLFRAM FREIHERR VON SODEN born in Berlin on the 19th June,1908
was a German orientalist. He was the son of HANS FREIHERR VON SODEN.
He was Professor in Gottingen,Berlin,Vienna and since 1961 he has been
in Munster. He is known particularly for his works on grammar and
Extracts from Len Metzner?s indexes on German families
Source: Garnison - Kirchenbuch Hannover 1690-1811
Sode; Vol.1,pp.26 &242;
von Soden; Vol.1,pp.115;
Vol.2,pp. 17 & 296
von der Sode; Vol. 3,pp.17
Volumes 1,2,3 are in the Library of the Anglo-German Society.
Volume 4 is with Len Metzner,in Somerset.
Volume 4 bei Len Metzner
Louise Sophie Wilhelmine von der Soden,born circa 1784,confirmed 1798
Another possibly ,though illegible,born 1791,confirmed 1805.
Garnison Kirchenbuch Hanover,1816-1867
von Sode, Christian Ludwig; Captain Gren.Garde,born Stade,married 12.7.1820 to
Augustine Wilhelmine von Uslar at Stade.
von Sode, August; Premierleutnant,2.Leichtes Batt., born Wolfel,Amt Hannover - 1798;
died MH 01031835,aged 37 yrs 1 month 17 days (Fleckfieber); ledig
Sode, Charles Augustus von der
Ensign,3rd Line Batt.; enlisted 30.10.1807; British Waterloo Medal;
Lieutenant in Hannover 2nd Light Battalion;died 01031835
Lieutenant,3rd Line Batt; enlisted 30.10.1807; British Waterloo Medal;
Brevet Captain in Hannover Service;died at Blomberg,Lippe- Detmold.
Ensign,4th Line Batt; enlisted 30.10.1807;British Waterloo Medal; died Ohrdruf,nr.Gotha.
Soden,Victor Frederick von
Major,8th Line Batt,enlisted 19041804;resigned 01071806,died 01031832 at Stade
(!! There may well be an error here as the 8th Line Batt were not even formed in 1806
but on 01071816.!!)
Lieutenant Christian Soden
Lieutenant 18 March 1812
Ensign 17 November,1807
8th Bn KGL
No. of Yrs? 1 ½
microfiche 48/a/I Nr.104
Niedersachsisches Archiv , Hannover
Charles August von de Soden
Ensign 30 November,1813
Niedersachsisches Archiv , Hannover
to be looked up yet
in the NSA,Hannover
Lewis von Soden
4th line of Battle
48a/I Nr. 112
Victor Frederick von Soden
8th Line Battle
August von Soden
2nd Leicht. Batt.
Ensign Lewis Soden,4th Battalion of the Line,King?s German Legion
Lieut. Christian de Soden,3rd Battalion of the Line,King?s German Legion
Ensign C.A. von der Soden,3rd Battalion of the Line,King?s German Legion
Source BR: ALFON CZAJA OFM
Die Kirche zum Heiligen Kreuz in Hildesheim
1980 Bernward Verlag Hildesheim
This book is 240 pages of text with an appendix of 235 illustrations.
Moritz von Soden is marked out by an especial social involvement.he comes
from the old and respected Council-and Business family of Hannover and was also
Provost of the Magdalenacloister.
Born in 1527 the son of Hans von Sode (d. 1552 in Hildesheim).
His birth lay at the beginning of the Reformation in Hannover,1533/34.
It is doubtful if he like other members of the family who remained in Hannover
turned over to Lutheranism. On a conversion to Catholicism there is
nothing known. Also the exact date of his enry into the Abbey is not known.
1563 he is mentioned for the first time in a bill of his brother Jürgen von Sode
as canonicus to the Holy Cross church. He was then a rich man.
After a debt write-off in 1591 he had lent the Hannover Council 4500 Reichstaler
and 2000 Gulden.
1571 he gave 300 Gulden to the Michaeliscloister,1581 50 Reichstaler to the
1587 he founded a Poorhouse on the grounds of the Minoritencloister in
Hannover fur 9 poor men and 9 poor women,the so-called Sodensche Cloister,
which to this day is still inhabited. (Note by Felix Soden: This is the next
street to Menschingstrasse,where your mother,Ute Hoefer ,resided as a student.)
For the poor people there he donated 3000 Reichstaler,for poor students in
Hannover 2000 Reichstaler.
1604 he erected with a amount of 3000 Talern a further foundation for poor ?studiosi?.
The Collegium Saxonum founded by von Brandtis received 1200 Reichstaler. 8 different Hospitals
in Hildesheim enjoyed his patronage. But also he set aside amounts for altars and spiritual jobs
in the churches of Hildesheim or for the improvement of paths in the area of the city. For the two
figures of the apostles and patrons of the Abbey,Peter and Paul, he laid aside 172 Reichstaler .
They stand on the steps of the west side.
1604 he founded a further curacy,die vicaria tertia dominorum sue Petri et Pauli.
1607 he died.
Source: Dombibl. Hs 332,S57 - 58,s.63-67
Auskunft des Stadtarchivs Hannover (Herr Zimmermann).
writing on the plate of the Paul Statue on the main steps:
D(OMINUS) MAURITIUS A SODE CANONICUS ET SENIOR
ECCL(ESI)AE S CRVCIS F(IERI F(ECIT)
(master Maurice von Soden canon and elder donated this to the
Church of the Holy Cross)
underneath is the family arms and the floor plate :
ANNO D(OMI)NI 1603
On the stem: ANNO 1727
On the surface of the stem of the Paul statue:
IESU CHRISTI CRVCIFIXE MISERERE MEI
On the book is the year 1718.
Born 1913/8/2 in Friedrichshafen,Bavaria,Germany
1939-9 ? 1940/7
Watch Officer & Adjutant
1940/11 ? 1941/3
1941/4 ? 1941/10
1941/10 ? 1942/3
1.Watch Officer on the U552
1942/3 ? 1942/5
2. U.A.A. & 24 U-Boot Flotille
1942/5/28 ? 1943/2/7
Kommandant of U-624
The U-624 sank 5 ships of 39,855 tons and damaged 1 of 5,432 tons.
These were :
29/10/1942 Kosmos II ,a Norwegian Whaler in Sector AL54
29/10/1942 The steamer Pan New York in sector AL54
18/11/1942 The steamer Yaka while belonging to the ?Viper? group
in sector AK 48
18/11/1942 Tanker President Sergent in sector AK 48
18/11/1942 Steamer Parismina in sector AK 48
25/1/1943 Lone Freighter Lackenby ,a British steamer in sector AL 45
4/2/1943 engaged as escort
7/2/1943 Sunk by RAF B-17 Fortress Squadron 220
It was sunk in the North Atlantic on 7. February,1943,in position 55?42 N,26?17W by depth charges
from a British B-17 Fortress Aircraft (Sqdn. 220/J). The crew of 45 were all killed.
The U-552 carried out 10 patrols for 298 days up to August ,1942
Its Captain was the charismatic Erich Topp. Altogether with him as Captain the U552 sank
184,244 tons of Allied shipping gaining him eventually the Knights Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords.
Soden was watch officer on the U552 when Topp was commander and when the USS James Reuben
was sunk. He served from October,1941 to March,1942. During this time his boat patrolled the
North-, and West Atlantic,the New Foundland Bank and south of Nova Scotia. Between the
25th October,1941 and 25th November, 1941 the U552 accompanied the ?Stortekecker?,sank
an 8000 tonne British Steamer patrolled west of Gibraltar and sank the USS Reuben James.
This happened some 6 weeks before the Americans declared war on the Germans and this
was the first American ship to be sunk,though many had been damaged. 100 of the crew of
144 perished. This happened on 31.October,1941 at 0525 hours while the USS James Reuben
was with the eastbound convoy HX-156. Soden left the U-552 for Commander Training and
command in May ,1942 of the U-624.
(Codename of the U-624 signed by von Soden and his officers)
Report by the RAF Crew,7th February, 1943
Type & Number Fortress II J220 Fl.459
Crew P/O Roberson,G.Capt.
P/O Grove,P.H. 2 Pil
Sgt.Dreghton,L. 3 Pil.
Duty Parallel track sweep to cover S.G.118
Time Up 1230
Time Down 2308
Details of Sortie 1740 in position 56? 14?N,24"55?W
1812 in position 55"42?N,26"17?W,sighted u/b on surface;
after stalking through cloud cover to within 3 miles attacked through rain at 90"
to track from starboard with d.c?s. U/B straddled between No.4 and No.5 d.c.?s.
U/B submerged slowly. After plum subsided a round object 12 ft. Long rose out
of water to about 4 ft. Several pieces of yellow wood also seen. Marine marker dropped
after 15 minutes and dr. and corvette contacted and then flew to C/V and reported to S.N.O.
Nothing further seen.
Source: PRO ,Kew,England.
This webpage is copyrighted. © 2021 Felix Soden. All rights reserved.